Roulette is a classic casino table game and now it’s available for online play. The game is a fascinating blend of strategy and chance. You can’t control where the little rolling ball will land, but you can decide where and how much to bet. Online casino roulette has a huge range of betting strategies, which aim to help you beat the house. With practice you can master those techniques. This gives you a better chance at earning some excellent returns. We give you a head start how to win at roulette and share some of the roulette secrets known to game experts.
Casino.com - 100% up to R4,000
R4,000 Welcome package + 200 Free Spins (20 on registration + 180 on deposit) and the best VIP program for South Africans
Slots Heaven Casino - 100% up to R1,000
Slots Heaven offers a colorful and exciting experience for Slot lovers and excellent value with a 100% first deposit match bonus
Sloty - Up to R22,500 + 300 free spins
Sloty is a powerful, reputable online casino with some spectacular jackpots to be won.
SCasino - 100% up to R2400
SCasino is one of the oldest online casino that offers R2400 bonus for South Africans
How to Play Online Roulette
Even regular players of real-world roulette may need some adjustment when playing online.
- Click on the coloured chips at the bottom of the screen to select the value of your bet.
- Click which areas you’d like to bet on – single numbers, evens, middle section, reds, etc.
- At any time you can adjust bet value by clicking on different chips.
- Click ‘Clear Bets’ to remove chips and start again. If you don’t, the bets you made in the previous round will remain in place till your money runs out.
- After placing your bets, click ‘Spin’ to start the round.
3 Quick Tips for Playing Online Roulette
Whatever your skill or experience level, here are a few easy roulette tips to get rolling:
- Choose a welcome bonus that rewards roulette play. Finding casino bonuses for online roulette can be challenging. The game has a much lower house edge than slots, so whereas slots contribute 100% to your bonus’ wagering requirement (WR), you’ll be lucky to find a bonus where roulette contributes 20 to 25%.
- Play French or European Roulette. These have only one house pocket, so your odds are better than the American game, where there are two. But sometimes, American roulette compensates for this edge in various ways, so don’t dismiss the Yanks out of hand.
- Try classic roulette betting strategies. There are veteran roulette players who advocate very different strategies on how best to bet. We discuss the main strategic approaches briefly here, but consider reading in depth our detailed page about these strategies.
Common Roulette Bets
A roulette wheel is divided into pockets of alternating red and black colours, each pocket numbered from 1 to 36. Here are some of your betting options:
- Single number or “inside” bet
- Colour bet (red or black numbers)
- Split bet (either of two numbers)
- Street bet (either of three numbers)
- Corner bet (either of four numbers)
- Dozen bet (a marked table section of twelve: 1-12, 13-24, or 25-36)
- High/low bet (either 1-18 or 19-36)
- Odd or Even number bet
Popular Online Roulette Games
There are two main types of roulette games: European and American. The main difference is that the rolling ball can land not only in red and black numbered pockets. It may also land in a house pocket. There is one house pocket in European forms of roulette (“0”) and two in the American (“0” and “00”).
This minor structural difference can mean a big difference in roulette odds, since that extra pocket can double the house edge from 2.7% to 5.26%. There may be other differences and mitigating circumstances, however, as noted below.
French is the most popular version of European roulette. It features several advantageous betting options, such as the ‘La Partage’ rule. This allows you to keep half your bet even when you lose, at least under specific conditions.
American Roulette may have that extra pocket, but the Yankee version often compensates for the house edge with some pro-player rules and options. Check out these variations.
Online Roulette Versions
There are dozens of online roulette variations from leading game developers. Some are clearly more compelling and popular than others. Here are some of our favorites.
Mini Roulette is a radically simplified version of the game. There are just 12 pockets: black are even and red are odd. The single house pocket is green. Betting options are also miniaturised. This version is easier to learn and play, increasing its popularity.
3D Roulette Premium from Playtech follows the European version of the game with a single house pocket. This variation stands out with its visual realization. The graphics are superb, and the game is animated in vivid high definition 3D.
Live Roulette is for us the most exciting way to play. You are linked to an actual casino with streaming HD video bringing you all the action. A live croupier hosts you, with live chat for real-time interaction. You’ll have slow-motion “money shots” of ball and wheel. Try the versions from NetEnt and Evolution Gaming for an unforgettable thrill.
Online Roulette Strategic Overview
Although roulette is a game of chance, you can use betting strategies to your advantage. A better roulette strategy can lead to better roulette payouts.
First, decide how much you are willing to bet in a single roulette spin, and how much you are willing to risk in a roulette session. After you have set these betting limits, consider these roulette strategies to maximise your chances of success.
- The Martingale System is perhaps the most popular strategy. Start off placing an even money bet. If you lose, double your wager. If you win, return to your original bet. Repeat this simple formula throughout the roulette session.
- The Reverse Martingale System applies the opposite strategy. If you win, double your wager; if you lose, return to your original bet.
- There is no shortage of roulette strategies. They include the Fibonacci system as well as Reverse Fibonacci system. There are also betting systems name after Labouchere, D’Alembert, and other mathematical strategists.
The Bottom Line on Roulette
Online roulette is a game that has built-in thrills. As that little ball is released and bounces around the spinning wheel, players hold their collective breaths. When the ball reaches its destined pocket, the thrill is undeniable, whether in a casino or playing online. Creative game designers have packed their versions with powerful visual effects. Try the many variations to see which version you favour. While this is a game of chance, betting strategies can cut the house edge, giving you a chance at winning big. Try roulette games free first, without risking Rand. When you are comfortable with free online roulette, find a recommended casino that lets you play bonus money in this game. Then give online roulette a spin for real money!